Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Gone but not forgotten




One of my favorite sights of the year has been a rare but dependable occasion in rifle season. When the time and conditions are just right, the morning sunlight strikes the trees where I'm nestled.

Usually, I am gazing across the hilltop beyond the farmhouse where pink-orange clouds start lighting up the cool blue morning... soon, they are glowing. At last, the sun crests and sends blazing orange light across the brushy brown hills and pastures. And, when I finally glance behind me, it looks like someone's flipped a switch. Hot pink and orange floodlights are pouring across the hillside.

I visit these scenes in my head in quiet moments throughout the year. I'm glad I snapped a few pictures this year.

Turns out, it was the last season for these gentle giants.... in December, they were marked for logging- numbers in blue spray paint ranged up into the 50's.

My buddy just called to tell me that they logged that patch.

The bright spot? The 2 trees that we hunted from were left standing.


PS: click on the pics for a larger, more real to life, feel

0 comments: